Sweet pastry for fruit slices ( include GLUTEN FREE flour instead of standard flours for GF )
- 250 gms of butter
- 1 cup of castor sugar
- 1.5 cups of SR flour
- 1.5 cups of plain flour
- 2 eggs
- Cream butter and sugar until white and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time
- Add flours slowly until fully combined and a firm dough
- Wrap and rest in refrigerator for over hour or until next day or freeze until required (I keep pastry dough in freezer for easy access for a quick dessert). NOTE If using gluten free flours then rest for over a day is necessary
- Roll out between 2 baking papers or baking paper and glad wrap to suit tart or slice pan shape , then gently pick up pastry with the baking paper and lower it into the pan .
- Fill with fruit that is well cooked and fairly dry as not to make pastry soggy .
- Then roll out the lid between two layers of a pastry sheet, baking paper or glad wrap and flip over onto the top of the base and fruit.
- Gently press around the sides and prick top with a fork and brush with milk and a sprinkle of sugar on top.
- If you have some tears in the pastry, patching it works well as the SR flour overcomes any imperfections.
For plums, apricots , nectarines, peaches, the best filling method is to slow roast the fruit by halving the fruit and single layer them out on baking trays, sprinkle with a little sugar to draw out the fluid from the fruit , and slow cook in 100 degree C oven until firm and not runny . However if the fruit is very juicy you can thicken it with a little semolina. (Gf cornflour or tapioca flours etc)